Friday 7 September 2012

In the beginning

Once in a blue moon I do something totally impulsive. Usually I'm quite good at keeping my impulses in check, but this blog is a record of the journey resulting from one of those 'once in a blue moon' moments... It's the story of converting our camper-van dream into reality.

Over the summer, two camping holidays in the rain and two broken tent poles resulted in us talking wistfully about owning a camper van instead. The idea of being able to take off at the weekend with the kids, stop wherever we fancy for a hot drink, and then be able to sleep in a bed in a warm van rather than have to put up and put up with a tent is so appealing. The call of the open road - going where the whim takes us - exploring our own wonderful country and further afield - it's a powerful motivator.

As a child, we had a VW Bay window van named Big Yellow Lorry. Since I was a teenager I've dreamed of owning one myself, so this is where I naturally began my search for a van. However, neither Jonathan or I are terribly mechanically minded (although I would love to know more about engines than I do), and one of the main things I know about vintage VWs is that they take a lot of tinkering, loving and often cash to keep them on the road. I had a really good look into the idea of having one of the new Brazillian import T2 campers instead, hopeful that this would be a way to fulfil my dream without the maintenance issues. However, the incredibly high price-tag coupled with many forum posts detailing problems even with these new vans put me off.

So, I drove Jonathan crazy by spending hours on the Internet looking at different vans. And then I saw this one ....

No comments:

Post a Comment